Thursday, February 25, 2010

Eric Levi Ward

Eric Ward was one of my students. Two years ago, he was in my class for one semester. A quiet kid. I would put him in the middle of a boisterous group, hoping his quietness would help restore order.

Helpful and a real buddy, Eric was ready to carry books, move furniture or run errands especially if it involved running to the other end of school in the rain.

I was his efolio interviewer. Efolio-that special occasion of dubious value when kids about to graduate demonstrate what they've learned and grown to love in their four years at high school. Eric's presentation consisted solely of pictures of him working out at the gym. Lifting weights, doing push-ups and various other exercises.

Being an earnest academic and bookworm, I was not much impressed at this emphasis on physical development. I remember quizzing him on the lack of intellectual evidence. "But Dr. Sen, I want to be a Marine". He was sad that he didn't get a full score of 40 with me, I think he got a 36. He graduated and did become a marine.

Eric died in action at Afghanistan. The kid who walked around the hallways, TA badge proudly hung around his neck, is never going to show up in school reunions. There are many things he will never do. But today I want to think about the thing that he did do. He achieved his dream of becoming a marine. The long list of awards in the newspaper attests to him being a darned good one too.

I salute him for having the courage and conviction to pursue and attain his dream. For his generosity and friendship, his sureness of purpose. As the nation honors his ultimate sacrifice I think of the quiet boy and his young heroic life. Rest in peace Eric Ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment