Saturday, February 20, 2010

Home and Away


It has been nine days since I left Seattle with my students. I left full of enthusiasm and excitement at the thought of introducing my little chickens to the culture and country I grew up in. Seeing their faces light up at things I would not usually notice, a pink goat on the road (somebody must have played early holi), or a man riding his motorbike on a truck (I have pictures).

Not everything went as planned. What a surprise. I guess it is best to concentrate on the lessons learned and happy memories. Memories of the twins singing Journey at barista, or Megan/Delaney/Stephanie and Helen siging in the car as we drove back from the Gardens. Climbing 800 steps to the top of Gomateshwara, watching the kids try on outfits at Fabindia. If life is a patchwork of experiences, then mine is one colorful canopy.

We've seen the temples, the palaces, the churches and the gardens. Played throwball with the kids at Grace school. Spent a night with host families. Now it is time to go shake paws with the tigers and then head home. Home sweet home.

I have lived in India for twenty years yet the only place I can think of as home is my lttle corner in the pacific northwest. I miss Parvez Arno and Aki.

No comments:

Post a Comment