Thursday, February 4, 2010

Off we go

Next week, I will be taking some of my students to India for a ten-day cultural immersion. The idea is fun and full of promise. But as departure day draws closer, my thoughts are more of those who'll stay behind, and that which remains to be done.

My husband and kids, amazing people who live with my incessant chatter. My friends, my students and coworkers, all of whom matter in the daily workings of a reasonably sane existence.

Then there are the dreams...of changing the world, changing hearts and minds...leaving a tiny yet indelible footprint on some corner of this world just so someday I have the satisfaction of knowing that---where there used to be nothing, there is this. Sounds naive and insubstantial but I believed it possible. Still do. Hence the juggling act of a practical need to make living with a need to create a life beyond the daily grind.

Well then, back to India. Going to be a great trip, to Mysore, Bangalore, Belur, Halebidu. Days of unruly traffic, roadside dosa stalls and sandalwood in the air!

No comments:

Post a Comment